This is a total do-it-yourself article – you can take short-cuts if you have the right products, like a double-boiler or ready-to-use oil, or you can work up this cannabis-infused magic from scratch. We’re going the DIY route because it’s important to know exactly what goes into your medication, and we love to create our own recipes!
Creating a double boiler
Shortcut: Skip this step if you already have a real double boiler at home, a magic butter machine, or a Levo!
- 1 large pot filled with 1/4 water
- 1 big bowl that fits in rim of the pot
- Bring the pot of water to a boil
- Reduce to a simmer and fit the bowl into the pot. Note: The bottom of the bowl should not reach the water (2-3 inches space between the bowl and the water is best).
- Add the ingredients required and proceed with the recipe.
Creating your own infused cannabis mixture
Shortcut: Skip this step if you already have ready-made cannabis oil, butter or tincture – whether bought from a licensed producer or made at home. Note: the type varies depending on the product so make sure you have the right type of infusion ready! If you are more interested in alcohol tinctures, we have a recipe for that too!
- 7-10 grams of ground, dried cannabis or cannabis trimmings
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut oil
- 1/3 cup beeswax
- 1/3 cup olive oil (optional)
- A few drops of essential oil (optional)
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 saucepan (or double boiler like the one we noted in the step above)
- 1 glass jar
- 1 cheesecloth
- Preheat oven to 240 degrees Fahrenheit and spread dried ground cannabis on a baking sheet. When the oven is preheated, decarboxylate your cannabis in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, place your coconut (and olive oil if you choose to use it) in the saucepan or double boiler over low heat and stir continuously.
- Remove your decarboxylated cannabis from the oven and mix it into the coconut oil over low heat and continue stirring the cannabis and oil mixture for 20 to 25 minutes. Note: Keep the heat very low, especially if you’re not using a double boiler and also if you’re using olive oil.
- After 25 minutes, remove from heat and pour the mixture through a cheesecloth into the jar. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan or double boiler, add the beeswax and heat until it is melted. As the beeswax melts, slowly re-add the infused coconut oil. Add essential oils last.
- Once the beeswax and oils are thoroughly mixed, remove from heat and transfer into containers for your infused salve.
Creating infused cannabis lotion
Shortcut: Just kidding! There’s no real shortcuts to creating a lotion, though you can technically use your infused oils right on your skin. But there’s nothing like some healthy ingredients to really soak it in and make you look and feel amazing.
- 1 cup aloe vera gel
- 1-2 tsp vitamin E oil or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shea butter or cocoa butter
- Cannabis salve
- Jar or container for lotion
- Mix cannabis salve and aloe vera gel
- Add 1 tsp vitamin E oil and 2 tbsp shea or cocoa butter
- Add additional oil to increase fluidity
- Note: Lotion will remain very thick and is not recommended for a lotion pump.